;
hawksrealm Sports Talk Forum Index hawksrealm Sports Talk
Everybody posting deserves RESPECT

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    Join! (free) Join! (free)  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Playoffs are here!!!!!
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.

Posted:     Post subject:

quitesanemax
Traveler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Playoffs are here!!!!!  Reply with quote

Hawk, if you are interested in doing this again, please sticky this topic... and maybe send an e-mail to those you think might be interested.  Otherwise they might not check.

Here’s how it works:

1 point for choosing the team that wins by the spread I will go by this website: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/odds.

I will post what it says on Friday morning, and we will go by that spread. If it changes after that, it doesn't matter.

1 point for choosing the team that wins

1 point for being within 5 either way of the total points scored by both teams (added together). Another words, if the Colts win 27-17 this weekend, the total points would be 44. If you choose between 39 and 49 total points, you will get a point for that.

There will be a possibility of 12 points up for grabs on Wildcard weekend, 12 points for the Division finals, and 6 points for the Conference finals, giving a total of 30 points up for grabs.

There are a few ways to get bonus points as well:

1. If you get exact score on any of the total points picked, that is worth 2 points, if you get exact points of each team, that is worth 3 points. (So if you actually picked 44 in the above example, that is worth 2 points. If you choose 27-17, Colts, in the above example, that is worth 3 points.)

2. With choosing against the spread, if you decide to choose a tie vs the spread, and you are right, this is worth 3 points. (As long as I've been doing this, it hasn't happened).

Lastly, the Superbowl… Since total points on Superbowl weekend need to be used as a tiebreaker, I came up with different ways to get point to make it more interesting: Here is what you need to choose for Superbowl weekend:

1. 1 pt for choosing the team that wins, of course.

2. 1 pt for choosing the team that wins vs the spread. (And as with the rest of the contest, if you choose a tie, and are correct, this is worth 3 points.)

3. 1 pt for choosing the 1st team to score. 2 for choosing the correct player - choosing the QB doesn’t count unless he runs it in for a TD. (You can only choose one or the other. If you choose Austin, and Dallas scores first, but it isn’t Austin who scores, you do not get 1 point.)

4. 1 pt for choosing the team that scores last. 2 for choosing the correct player - choosing the QB doesn’t count unless he runs it in for a TD. (You can only choose one or the other. If you choose Austin, and Dallas scores first, but it isn’t Austin who scores, you do not get 1 point.)

5. 1 pt for choosing the 1st scoring play: fieldgoal or touchdown. (if you decide to choose safety and are correct, that is worth 3 points).

6. 1 pt for choosing the highest scoring quarter. (2 pts for choosing the exact amount of points in that quarter - you can choose both)

7. 1 pt for choosing the team that gets the longest fieldgoal. (2 pts for how long in yards - you can choose both).

The one with the highest points after the Superbowl wins bragging rights on this message board.

Remember, it will be your last chance to make picks this football season!   Heck, it may be your last chance for the next two seasons if the NFL and the players can't agree on something!  If you are as hooked as I am, that is reason enough.

Hope you join in the fun!
We play.  That's what we do!  We don't talk.  We play!  You come to Foxboro, its gonna be snowing!...  ...You want to say all you want.  You want to change the rules.  Change them!  We still play, and we win!  That's what we do!

Tedy Bruschi  '05
quitesanemax
Traveler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an after thought, there is plenty of time til the Superbowl.  If people would like to have different ways of scoring that week, please let us know your ideas, and if 3 or 4 of us like it, then we can add it.   I was thinking of adding hoosing the MVP of the Superbowl.  Anyone else with any ideas?

And if you'd like that one to replace one of the ones I thought of, let me know that as well.

Max
We play.  That's what we do!  We don't talk.  We play!  You come to Foxboro, its gonna be snowing!...  ...You want to say all you want.  You want to change the rules.  Change them!  We still play, and we win!  That's what we do!

Tedy Bruschi  '05
Hawk
Universal Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Max it looks good, I'll let the few guys who haven't bailed out know about the Game.
quitesanemax
Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Spreads for Wild Card weekend Reply with quote

It was a very busy day, so I didn't get a chance to go to the webpage this morning, so I will have to go by what they are now.  Probably no difference anyway...     Hope some of the regulars join in the fun!

Saturday at 4:30 PM:  Saints at Seattle, Saints by 10 1/2
Saturday at 8 PM:  Jets at Indy, Colts by 2 1/2

Sunday at 1 PM:  Ravens at KC, Ravens by 3
Sunday at 4:30 PM:  Packers at Philly, Eagles by 2 1/2

Max

Tedy Bruschi  '05
quitesanemax
Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, you don't have to do this.  Just the scores of each game, and who the winner is, will be fine.  I just feel a little long winded tonight...

Obviously the Seahawks have nothing to apologize about.... that being said,  when two 10-6 teams get knocked out of the playoffs so that a 7-9 team makes it in, and when that 7-9 team is hosting an 11-5 team… there is something wrong with that system.  At the very least, this game should be in New Orleans.  I believe the Saints will pull this game out, but they aren’t the same team they were last year.  Drew Brees has been turning the ball over a lot more,  and he has had an injury riddled running game.  He just doesn’t have all the weapons he had last year.  Ivory  and Thomas just went to IR.   Also, their defense hasn’t exactly been what it was last year, although it did look good in that Atlanta game a few weeks ago.     Saints 31-24

The Jets/Colts game is a difficult game to figure out who to root for, as a Pats fan.  I absolutely hate the Jets, but then again, I don’t like the Colts all that much either.   I wish I knew the result of the Baltimore/KC game before this one started... then I'd know who to root for.  If Baltimore wins, I want to see the Jets win, because I’d rather the Steelers play Baltimore before the Patriots do.  If we have to play Baltimore, let it be after a tough physical battle against Pittsburgh.  If KC wins,  then I’d rather see the Colts win.  No particular reason except that I hate the Jets a whole heck of a lot more than I hate the Colts.  : )

Indy has gotten Addai back, and their running game has looked better since he has gotten back into the lineup.  While Peyton is missing a bunch of weapons, he still seems to find a way to get it done when necessary…  I believe that run defense has looked a lot stronger the last few weeks too.  Indy has now won 6 in a row to make the playoffs… you have to be impressed with that.  The Colts scare me in that they really look a lot like they did back in ‘06.  While I would like the Jets to win this one because I like the matchup against the Patriots for the follwoing week, I believe Indy is going to pull it out.  The Jets defense just hasn’t been the same since they played the Pats… since they lost that safety, that is.  And their offense seems to have followed suit.  That piped in noise in the dome will probably help a little too!     Indy 31-17

I thought KC was going to be a contender before last week… but the Oakland loss has made me start to wonder.  The thing is that they just aren’t consistent enough.  Some days they look great, others they look horrible.  So I guess I could hope they look great this Sunday, and pull off the win against Baltimore, Jets lose to the Colts, and then KC, being inconsistant, looks horrible against the Pats.  Hey, I can hope.  I should point out that I haven’t been all that impressed with the Ravens offense as of lately either.  They have been just as inconsistent.  My real fear with the Pats being forced to play the Ravens is Suggs… I think he (and maybe others on that defense ) will be looking to injure Brady.  But all and all, after that loss KC took last week it is hard to have any confidence that their offense will be able to do anything against that Baltimore defense.  I think Baltimore pulls this one off... Baltimore's offense isn't much better, so it won't be high scoring...  I'll say Baltimore 17-6.

The GB/Philly game I think is pretty much up for grabs.  So many factor make this game unreadable.  The reason Vick did so bad against Minnesota was injury.  Has the two weeks off helped?  They obviously aren’t letting us know exactly what that injury is, or how serious it is, so we won’t know until the game starts.  If Vick isn’t 100 percent, that is bad for Philly.  Philly’s defense has not been what it was at the beginning of the year, and I think Rogers will have a field day against them…  Now on the other side of that coin, you have to think about Rogers status.  He obviously is okay to play… but he didn’t look all that great against the Bears.  Okay, okay, lets give the Bears defense some credit, but lets not forget that at that point the game meant nothing to the Bears.  And, Rogers has already had 2 concussions this season.  I’m thinking any hit to the head is going to knock him out of this game.  That would even the playing field if Vick isn’t at 100 percent.    GB’s defense is gameplanning for Vick, they should be able to do better against him, especially considering how much better their defense has been lately as compared to the beginning of the season.  This gives GB an edge IMO, but Philly does have homefield.  Then again, while GB has been a horrible road team, Philly is only 4-4 at home.  If Philly is able to pull it off this weekend, they should feel good about the fact that they will be playing on the road next week with a 6-2 road record!    I'm predicting that Vick will not be himself on Sunday.  GB  28-13.

Good luck to all of you!

Max

Tedy Bruschi  '05
Nightrider
Shuttle Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO----28-17

JETS----24-21

Ravens---24-21

Philly-----24-21

Actually Max....I don't like any of the teams, but somebody has to win
El Kabong
Traveler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was all set to try your new game Max, but really it would have been tough for a dummy like me. This makes it so much easier.

N.O.  34   Seattle 18

Jets 24   Indy  23

Ravens 21    KC 13

Philly 29   GB 27
Hawk
Universal Guide

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay Mathews will need a big day for GB to win,,,he'll have that day.
GB 27----Igggles 23

Charles will get shut down, 8 men in the box by the Ravens, KC has nothing after Charles, Ravens win easily.
Ravens 28  KC 10

Seattle, I can say nothing good about them, N.O.s will crush them.
Saints 35  Seattle 13

Sanchez can't do it alone, he doesn't have that kind of talent. But Tonlinson will get it going, Jets win in a close one
Jets 27 Indy 26
Desperado
Co- Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I'm in on this one:

Saints   33   SHawks 14

Colts     26   Jets  21

Ravens  20   KC  13

Packers  28  Eagles 30
quitesanemax
Traveler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, it isn't going to be a complete bust.  Thanks guys!

BlueSilver won last year.  Any chance he would come back if someone reminded him that he needed to defend his title?

Max

Tedy Bruschi  '05
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hawksrealm Sports Talk Forum Index -> NFL All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: