;
hawksrealm Sports Talk Forum Index hawksrealm Sports Talk
Everybody posting deserves RESPECT

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    Join! (free) Join! (free)  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Playoff contest
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Please Register and Login to this forum to stop seeing this advertising.

Posted:     Post subject:

quitesanemax
Traveler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Playoff contest  Reply with quote

Playoffs are here...  this was the idea I had for them.  Hawk, if you like the idea, please sticky this topic.

Here’s how it works:

1 point for choosing the team that wins by the spread I will go by this website: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/odds.

I will post what it says on Friday morning, and we will go by that spread. If it changes after that, it doesn't matter.

1 point for choosing the team that wins

1 point for being within 5 either way of the total points scored by both teams (added together). Another words, if the Cowboys win 27-17 this weekend, the total points would be 44. If you choose between 39 and 49 total points, you will get a point for that.

There will be a possibility of 12 points up for grabs on Wildcard weekend, 12 points for the Division finals, and 6 points for the Conference finals, giving a total of 30 points up for grabs.

There are a few ways to get bonus points as well:

1. If you get exact score on any of the total points picked, that is worth 2 points, if you get exact points of each team, that is worth 3 points. (So if you actually picked 44 in the above example, that is worth 2 points. If you choose 27-17, Cowboys, in the above example, that is worth 3 points.)

2. With choosing against the spread, if you decide to choose a tie vs the spread, and you are right, this is worth 3 points. (As long as I've been doing this, it hasn't happened).

Lastly, the Superbowl… Since total points on Superbowl weekend need to be used as a tiebreaker, I came up with different ways to get point to make it more interesting: Here is what you need to choose for Superbowl weekend:

1. 1 pt for choosing the team that wins, of course.

2. 1 pt for choosing the team that wins vs the spread. (And as with the rest of the contest, if you choose a tie, and are correct, this is worth 3 points.)

3. 1 pt for choosing the 1st team to score. 2 for choosing the correct player - choosing the QB doesn’t count unless he runs it in for a TD. (You can only choose one or the other. If you choose Austin, and Dallas scores first, but it isn’t Austin who scores, you do not get 1 point.)

4. 1 pt for choosing the team that scores last. 2 for choosing the correct player - choosing the QB doesn’t count unless he runs it in for a TD. (You can only choose one or the other. If you choose Austin, and Dallas scores first, but it isn’t Austin who scores, you do not get 1 point.)

5. 1 pt for choosing the 1st scoring play: fieldgoal or touchdown. (if you decide to choose safety and are correct, that is worth 3 points).

6. 1 pt for choosing the highest scoring quarter. (2 pts for choosing the exact amount of points in that quarter - you can choose both)

7. 1 pt for choosing the team that gets the longest fieldgoal. (2 pts for how long in yards - you can choose both).

The one with the highest points after the Superbowl wins bragging rights on this message board.

Remember, it will be your last chance to make picks this football season! If you are as hooked as me, that is reason enough. Hope you join in the fun!
We play.  That's what we do!  We don't talk.  We play!  You come to Foxboro, its gonna be snowing!...  ...You want to say all you want.  You want to change the rules.  Change them!  We still play, and we win!  That's what we do!

Tedy Bruschi  '05
Hawk
Universal Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its pretty involved, and looks like a lot of work on your part MAX....I hope everybody gives it a shot.

MBC63 is going to be pissed if somebody scores some big numbers----like me lmao
mbc63
Shuttle Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawk wrote:
Well its pretty involved, and looks like a lot of work on your part MAX....I hope everybody gives it a shot.

MBC63 is going to be pissed if somebody scores some big numbers----like me lmao

Why would I be pissed it is just a game ..... then again there you go thinking out of that bird brain of yours..... LOL  cya  geek  geek
quitesanemax
Traveler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, its a bit of a pain.  But I do it just about every year on the Pats board....   I'm used to it by now.   With no fantasy football or pickems to worry about, hopefully I have enough time to keep up with it!

The problem I find is its tough to keep up with once my Pats are eliminated...  but I'll find a way... ah, if they get eliminated.   ;

Max
We play.  That's what we do!  We don't talk.  We play!  You come to Foxboro, its gonna be snowing!...  ...You want to say all you want.  You want to change the rules.  Change them!  We still play, and we win!  That's what we do!

Tedy Bruschi  '05
Nightrider
Shuttle Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to take a while to figure this out Max. Hell we couldn't get the other game right half the time, and now you go and get serious on us lol.

Lets see who do I know that went to M.I.T.
mbc63
Shuttle Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is relativly simple. Pic a winner and then look at the spread. Then pick a total score. If you do not like the spread either go with your team or the other.

I may set this one out due in part of my Grand-Father of being a proffesional bookie and odds maker. He taught me well how to pic-em and play the odds as well as how to play poker.

Good Day
BluenSilver4evr
Traveler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I love a challenge, come on MBC you lucked out and won by 1 point in the other game.

The real deal was picking the right people at the right time, we all pretty much used the same guys. Also its still the same season, and I think Max will add all the scores together to get the winner. I hope its not 2 different games, just a continuation of the first game. That means mbc you could end up last!
Nightrider
Shuttle Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh Huh, I'd like to point out that Lonestar and I tied in last man standing, and last time I checked we were still in this game.

If mbc wants to bow out then I'll be glad to take both titles this year, no problemo lmao
mbc63
Shuttle Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightrider wrote:
Huh Huh, I'd like to point out that Lonestar and I tied in last man standing, and last time I checked we were still in this game.

If mbc wants to bow out then I'll be glad to take both titles this year, no problemo lmao

Yes you are correct in the 1st game play. Lady Luck was not with Cincinnati. I think it was a ball off of a helmet that was ran back for a score.

Yet I will put my picks up in a little while .... LOL.

Good Day.
mbc63
Shuttle Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max,

I'm having some trouble as well. I see that I went to edit a mistake and it got posted twice.

I was not sure on a few things. Thus me posting it up to get your feed back.

Good Day

Last edited by mbc63 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hawksrealm Sports Talk Forum Index -> NFL All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: