;
hawksrealm Sports Talk Forum Index hawksrealm Sports Talk
Everybody posting deserves RESPECT
 
  FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist    UsergroupsUsergroups    Join! (free) Join! (free)  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Change of Tie Breaking rules affecting the Boys
Page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hawksrealm Sports Talk Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
zigomanis18
Co- Pilot


Joined: 09 Jul 2009
Posts: 400


Location: Derry NH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Change of Tie Breaking rules affecting the Boys  Reply with quote

Well, I mentioned this before and was told it will be a mute point. But,it's not.
The number ONE Tiebreaker regardless used to be HEAD to HEAD..and it still should be. However, it is no longer. Case in point. The Cowboys SHOULD have a legit chance at a first round bye. If they win next week and Seattle wins the Boys beat Seattle, and should be no less than the number 2 seed. BUT, instead, Seattle is ahead because of other tie breakers and that's HUGE. I don't get the Logic. It the AFC, NE beat Denver and therefore owns the tiebreaker. WHY is it different for the Cowboys and Seahawks? Now, Dallas will be the number 3 seed, have to play the first week and go to probably GB in the following week....instead of playing Seattle at home..This of course assumes Seattle and GB will win,,which I am sure they will next week at home. Somewhere along the line the NFL screwed with the rules. Head to Head should ALWAYS be a determining factor above all else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hawk
Universal Guide


Joined: 02 May 2009
Posts: 2026


Location: Caribbean

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Change of Tie Breaking rules affecting the Boys Reply with quote

zigomanis18 wrote:
Well, I mentioned this before and was told it will be a mute point. But,it's not.
The number ONE Tiebreaker regardless used to be HEAD to HEAD..and it still should be. However, it is no longer. Case in point. The Cowboys SHOULD have a legit chance at a first round bye. If they win next week and Seattle wins the Boys beat Seattle, and should be no less than the number 2 seed. BUT, instead, Seattle is ahead because of other tie breakers and that's HUGE. I don't get the Logic. It the AFC, NE beat Denver and therefore owns the tiebreaker. WHY is it different for the Cowboys and Seahawks? Now, Dallas will be the number 3 seed, have to play the first week and go to probably GB in the following week....instead of playing Seattle at home..This of course assumes Seattle and GB will win,,which I am sure they will next week at home. Somewhere along the line the NFL screwed with the rules. Head to Head should ALWAYS be a determining factor above all else.


I'm pretty sure the rules have not changed. Head to head is in your division, out of the division its conference wins first. If Dallas and Seattle were tied with conference wins then Dallas get the head to head.

Correct. For US to get a bye we need the 49ers to beat the Cards = plausible AND the Rams to beat the Seahawks. I think the Rams can keep it close due to their Defense. Who knows? Maybe they can generate some offense.
_________________
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN, YET THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE, SO
> ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BevoMav
Co- Pilot


Joined: 06 Mar 2013
Posts: 422



PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is it will be a three way tie.

Seattle will beat the Rams
Dallas will beat the Skins  
and
Detroit or GB will win head to head.

In a three way tie the divison and then conference records.

All Dallas losses were in the Conference and two losses were in the division.

So they are third and all playoff games are tough and Dallas is better suited than any other team to win on the road.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hawk
Universal Guide


Joined: 02 May 2009
Posts: 2026


Location: Caribbean

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try and make this less confusing.

Doesn't matter if Dallas wins or loses at Wash.

If Cards lose and Seattle loses we move into second. I don't see where Detroit or GB have any bearing on this at all.
_________________
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN, YET THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE, SO
> ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nightrider
Shuttle Pilot


Joined: 01 Jun 2009
Posts: 714


Location: Ca.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s how the NFC playoff picture looks with one week to go:

1. Seattle Seahawks (11-4) The Seahawks will be the No. 1 seed if they beat the Rams on Sunday, unless the Lions and Packers tie and the Cowboys win.

2. Detroit Lions (11-4) The Lions currently own the tiebreaker over the Packers, but they’ll have to win or tie at Green Bay on Sunday to win the NFC North. If the Packers win, the Lions will be a wild card.

3. Dallas Cowboys (11-4) The Cowboys have won the NFC East. They can get a first-round bye if both the Seahawks and Cardinals lose on Sunday.

4. Carolina Panthers (6-8-1) The Panthers will be the 4 seed if they win or tie in Week 17. If the Panthers lose to the Falcons, the Falcons will be the 4 seed.

5. Green Bay Packers (11-4) The Packers would be a wild card if the playoffs started today, but they’re favored to win the NFC North and get a first-round bye with a win over the Lions on Sunday.

6. Arizona Cardinals (11-4) The Cardinals can still win the NFC West if they beat the 49ers on Sunday and the Seahawks lose to the Rams. Otherwise, the Cardinals will be a wild card.
_________________
Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan. Tom Landry
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BevoMav
Co- Pilot


Joined: 06 Mar 2013
Posts: 422



PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawk wrote:
I'll try and make this less confusing.

Doesn't matter if Dallas wins or loses at Wash.

If Cards lose and Seattle loses we move into second. I don't see where Detroit or GB have any bearing on this at all.


Detroit or Green Bay will end up with the same record as the Cowboy. (Unless they tie) One of them will make up the third team to go with Dallas and Seattle.

If not Dallas has the edge head to head with Seattle because we beat them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zigomanis18
Co- Pilot


Joined: 09 Jul 2009
Posts: 400


Location: Derry NH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Change of Tie Breaking rules affecting the Boys Reply with quote

Hawk wrote:
zigomanis18 wrote:
Well, I mentioned this before and was told it will be a mute point. But,it's not.
The number ONE Tiebreaker regardless used to be HEAD to HEAD..and it still should be. However, it is no longer. Case in point. The Cowboys SHOULD have a legit chance at a first round bye. If they win next week and Seattle wins the Boys beat Seattle, and should be no less than the number 2 seed. BUT, instead, Seattle is ahead because of other tie breakers and that's HUGE. I don't get the Logic. It the AFC, NE beat Denver and therefore owns the tiebreaker. WHY is it different for the Cowboys and Seahawks? Now, Dallas will be the number 3 seed, have to play the first week and go to probably GB in the following week....instead of playing Seattle at home..This of course assumes Seattle and GB will win,,which I am sure they will next week at home. Somewhere along the line the NFL screwed with the rules. Head to Head should ALWAYS be a determining factor above all else.


I'm pretty sure the rules have not changed. Head to head is in your division, out of the division its conference wins first. If Dallas and Seattle were tied with conference wins then Dallas get the head to head.

Correct. For US to get a bye we need the 49ers to beat the Cards = plausible AND the Rams to beat the Seahawks. I think the Rams can keep it close due to their Defense. Who knows? Maybe they can generate some offense.



Not necessarily true Hawk. NE beat Denver outside of the division and they have had the edge over Denver since then. No one mentioned anything other then their head to head. I think looking more into it, the thing here is the three way thing. if it were just Dallas and Seattle, Dallas wins on a head to head. But because it's a potential three way tie, then it goes to Conference, of which Dallas has the worst conference record of the remaining teams attempting to get the 1-2-3 seed. Still odd, but it's clearer now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hawk
Universal Guide


Joined: 02 May 2009
Posts: 2026


Location: Caribbean

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on ZIGO...I wasn't the one asking about the tie breaker. Yes it has to do with a 3 way tie, but thats not the question you asked.

Now if you were already an expert on this why did you bother to ask the question? Plus your NE, and Denver scenario makes no sense at all. Until last night Denver could have still controlled home field advantage.
_________________
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN, YET THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE, SO
> ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BevoMav
Co- Pilot


Joined: 06 Mar 2013
Posts: 422



PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone think Seattle loses at home to the Rams please raise their hands so we can find you and give you medication.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zigomanis18
Co- Pilot


Joined: 09 Jul 2009
Posts: 400


Location: Derry NH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawk, I found out the answer because of what was answered by another and I checked more on online. But you are wrong about Denver. They could have and STILL can control the second spot...but NEVER had the control over the number one spot. Even is Denver won last night and Sunday...the Patriots controlled the number one spot if they beat Buffalo ....all because they beat Denver.  My point is. it really sucks that Dallas worked so hard in October to beat Seattle in Seattle and sadly, may at some point, if they get that far, have to do it again.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hawksrealm Sports Talk Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Stargate Theme by Cat webdesing
; ;
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum
; ;